&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Monday

Agenda

It seems my spelling has gone completely to pot now. So be it.

Plans & stuff

  1. Replay Zelda in 480p collecting all items, Poe's, Bugs, & pieces of heart. Not majorly exciting but worth doing, especially since the improved graphics will make the game a pleasure to behold. It's fun!
  2. Write a full review of Zelda. Kind of a whatever thing but maybe someone out there in Nintendo is interested in my thoughts on Twilight Princess. I'll tell you now the score is 9/10 but I think there is quite a lot of room for improvement. Specifically the controls. E.g. When firing the bow how about nooking the arrow by bringing the nunchuck and remote together while holding B, draw the remote back away from the nunchuck, and release B to fire. I understand that this might not be possible using the tech in the controller but it would work a lot better than the crappy pointer. The only item that it really suits is the clawshot. In all honesty, the remote is essentially worthless in Zelda. You might as well use a regular controller. (I know you can disable the pointer and use the analog stick to aim.) In fact, it would have probably been better to do so. Sword fighting by waving the remote and pressing A/B doesn't remain fun for long. It just fucks up your wrist and the same result could have been achieved by tapping a button. However, if the remote was actually wielded as a proper sword (i.e. you're holding the handle and the 'invisible' blade matches your swings and thrusts) it would never get old. Again, I don't think in it's current incarnation that the Wii remote is capable of such feats but what about the Xii? Or the Yii? (Those are probably profanities in Japanese, eh.) I mean, I'm excited about the future but I think the present could have been better too. Egads, that was kind of a long & rambling bullet point.
  3. RAID, etc.. Let's think about this: I only really need RAID-1, 50GB maximum. I definitely need to scrap that Seagate drive. The WDC seems okay. Let's face it, I need a new desktop and retire this system to some less critical and taxing role. Maybe offloading some of the daemons from stone to here. Which reminds me, stone is almost out of space on /home, filled with my postgresql database. I'm clustering it right now but as soon as that's complete, it needs to move. Also, I need to reconfigure the database. Observed hands do not need HH and they do not need to go into the same database as played hands. Moving postgres to a system with faster drives will help too. RAID-10 would be good as well if I can swing it.
  4. Work, work, work, and that's just the maintenance. I also need to work on poker. Looks like I'm going to be dropping $800 a month on coaching (2 sessions per week). That's quite a lot really if I am a losing/breakeven player. The plan, though, obviously is to become a strong enough winner to play full-time. That means 4BB and above. Period. Below that and it is just not profitable. Playing part-time I should be netting $1.6k p.m. at 100NL, and then $3.2k p.m. at 200NL, excluding RB. Which is not a lot at all, especially minus the coaching fee. However, it is significantly better than $0 or losing. Full-time, I only intend to play 40-50k hands per month so I'm only looking at double that. Those figures are for 4BB, and while I hope to achieve better than that it would suffice.