&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Friday

Nearly time

So my desktop is old and crusty. I need a new system but I don't have that much to spend. Yeah, a hot rod would be nice (a god box nicer) but I need some level of customization. Also, I'm going for AMD.

  • Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5, probably. Not overly in love with it. PSU will be something semi-cheap and reliable. Antec EarthWatts 430W maybe. A little expensive for a PSU, though.
  • Mobo: Abit KN9 Ultra, or equivalent at time of purchase. This is a brilliant board with great Linux support.
  • CPU: Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+...when it falls to closer to £100. Also need some cooling to go with that.
  • GPU: Nvidia 7600GT.
  • RAM: 2GB PC6400 DDR2-800.
  • Hard drive: 250GB Caviar SE. At least one, maybe two.

Damage? ~£100 case + PSU, ~£70 mobo, ~£100 CPU, ~£100 GPU, ~£100 RAM, & ~£100 on hard drives. Total: £570. Considering this is a 'barebones' system, that's stupidly expensive. It's not like I can buy CPU+RAM one month, GPU+HD the next. Even if I scale down on the GPU and only get one hard drive, that's not a huge saving. I could get it on finance, I guess. Hell, I could get a Mac Book Pro on finance...

Although, technically, ebuyer doesn't stock everything I want so I couldn't get everything on finance.

Not much to be recycled from my old system other than audio card and mouse/keyboard. Plus, if I want to take full advantage of Gigabit ethernet, I'll need to upgrade the rest of my network. Maybe one day.