&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Wednesday

You may not

Well, today there was a fight between the supervisor (SP) and one of his subordinates (SU). I mean a physical encounter. SP won, but is obviously no longer the supervisor. Funnily, SP & SB were friends before SB started working there.

Um, my thoughts, such as they are: SP was sufficiently provoked. Yes, SP should never hit him but...SB is a little twat when it comes to work. I don't dislike him but he does as little as possible, complains as much as he can, and when 'disciplined' constantly argues back. If I were SP (and I could have been, could be now, but there is no way in hell I want the job), given responsibility but no authority, I may have done the same. Although, I am different, and would have taken a more passive line.

The actual spark to this powder keg involved SB goofing off, SP saying "We're busy as hell, why the hell are you standing around doing nothing? Do you see anyone else doing that?" SB responds sarcastically so SP tells him to STFU and just do his fucking job. SB gets all sulky. Sometime later, SB comes in and asks "Can I just say something?". Argue, argue. SP warns SB that there's only so far he can be pushed. SB then goes into "yeah, yeah, what you going to do?" mode. SP tells him. SB continues to provoke him. SP tries to leave the room even though SB is standing in the doorway. Physical contact turns into fight.

From what I saw, this consists of SP putting SB on the floor quite easily. Then letting him up and punching him several times. I have to say: Owned. Very much like school when the mouthy shit who thinks he's hard runs into someone who actually is.

The fallout seems to be SB has quit (OH NOES), SP was demoted and is going to quit ASAP. I don't blame him. He's given a position of authority with no teeth. He's pointed out he has a serious problem with SB & that SB is a problem in and of himself. But of course he's given no help from upper management. And then it comes to this and SP is given all the blame by upper management. So standard.

My take: Fuck management. This, like many other things, is their fault. SP was out of line, no doubt. SB was out of line, too.

And just to clarify, I don't dislike SB. He's an alright guy but if he were my employee or subordinate, I'd have real problems with his attitude.