&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Sunday

3bet

I've been thinking a little about 3bet pots with 100BB stacks recently and I came to the somewhat obvious conclusion that little matters besides your cards because there are only enough chips for one, sometimes two, rounds of betting postflop. Now that I'm opening a lot more, I've found myself being 3bet more too, and rightfully so. However, I need defend against this. The only true defence that I can see is moving to another table. The other aggressive options (shoving on resteals, calling and shoving most flops) are super high variance. The path I'm taking now is always call with pairs OOP unless I think that I have no implied odds to hit a set, or that I won't be able to play a marginal pair profitably (e.g. JJ). I also call with suited connectors/gappers in position sometimes although I don't really like doing so if I don't think there's any FE postflop. Because even flops that improve your hand greatly still mostly have you as the underdog (i.e. you're only flopping draws). And you need to push all flops that hit you since calling a flop bet is pretty horrible in regards to stack size & pot size going to the turn.

So, anyway, my ramble was that 3betting light is relatively new to SSNL but doing it too liberally is a recipe for disaster. I may experiment some more with the guys who defend their blinds too much. I'm talking about the guys who, every time I open in the CO/BTN, instantly repop with any pair, AQ+, and probably SCs. Okay buddy, you want to keep your SB/BB? If you abuse it, I'll start calling and floating you on every flop. Or pushing flops. If you're playing crap, and I'm playing crap, if I have the better position, I win. Simple as. And then you have to make tremendous adjustments to your calling range.