&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Sunday

The great short stack experiment

I was thinking about lagbuddy and his bluffs. They work against me because I'm tight and able to make laydowns. Sometimes he's called down, though. Pure bluffs don't work too well for me because they're always called down by bad players. I much prefer to semi-bluff since there's more than one way to win.

Started a third BR for the Miller Short Stack Strategy. I had one BR for 10NL and one for shot at 25NL. Although, since the shot has gone quite well they're essentially merged. Sitting at 100NL table with 20BB. I checked down my BB and won with a pair of Fours :o) Guy on my left has 10 buy-ins. Q6o in the BB, folded to 5BB raise. CO KTs. Nice hand but not good enough. There's only really two hands I'm going to feel comfortable pushing, AA and KK. Oh, someone else seemed to be employing a short stack strategy. Ran into a set of Fives. Gutted.

Folded 88, kind of a shame but it has to be done. Would have had an overpair but that's no match for the mighty 62o, full house Two over Six. UTG+1 QJo. BB AKo, raised, pushed flop. Lost to a pair of Nines. Damnit. Unfortunate outcome but he did exactly what I wanted him to do. Fuck, KQo UTG and I forgot to turn auto post blind off. Should have just pushed the flop anyway. River was a queen. 88 in the BB, raised so I folded. Would have hit bottom set on a 3 flush board. I probably push that expecting to lose to a flush. Former deepstack seems to be on tilt after losing to a set that turned into a full house. Fuck. SB J6s, tiltman goes all-in, someone else follows him. I have a feeling I should call but I don't gambool. I'd have flopped two pair. AKs, I'll just push preflop, I think. Pushing over a raise, even better. SOB, called by AKs. House wins. Somewhere in the there I folded TT, I think I should have pushed that. Not only is this strategy losing so far it's also extremely fucking boring. Tiltman goes all-in again, called by TT. Ace on the river and he still can't beat a pair of Tens.

Been at this an hour (~60 hands) and I've had AK twice (lost once, drew once). Really should have pushed those Tens. Should have pushed first AK preflop. Tiltman might have called and the J9 guy might have folded. JJ stacks AK preflop. Maybe I should try this with a full buy-in? I mean, if you're going to get called why not? AJs, think about it but fold. 56s out of the SB, I flop an OESD. I almost push this and then I almost call a small bet. Turn completed my straight. Pooh. New plan: TT-QQ, push preflop because I probably won't like any flop I see. AKs beats KK with a rivered flush. Fuck, now I can't get rid of the chat box. AKo, SB. Pusssh. Probably dead. Flop is QJx. Come on dealer, give me a Ten. Ran into JJ and QQ. Good-o.

Short stack BR is bust. In fact, it's beyond bust at -$6. What a waste of time and money that was. Although, I may have completely fucked it by playing Kournikovas instead of just AA-TT. AK: won 0, lost 2, tied 1. Next experiment will be a shot at 50NL with $100 roll (if I can still afford it). The difference there is I will actually be playing poker instead of folding and being eaten by the blinds. Goddamn you, Mr. Miller!