&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Saturday

Finalizing

E6600 system is go! I think the Asus P5W Deluxe is my best option for OSX86 and/or Linux. Not having 5.1 sound is a let down but whatever. Um, things are looking pretty uber expensive, however. Spending far too much on motherboard (£150) + CPU (£200). Probably a little too much on RAM (£150). Graphics card I might do without if I can use old PCI one. Not sure how useful a 7600GT actually is to me anyway. Still, I really want to be spending about half as much on core components (£250 instead of £500).

However, such a system is pretty good because it's quadcore ready and will easily be upgradeable in a year or two. 6400 RAM is not all that expensive either compared to say 3200. Obviously the main expense there is mobo+cpu. Hopefully it will drop soon. Alternatively I can finance it or buy say, items unlikely to depreciate much (RAM, case, cables, cooler, & PSU) and just store them.

As the Conroe OC database shows, later E6600's overclock very nicely. Should be able to get 3.4GHz with Zalman 9500 quite easily without going over 1.5V.

Finished watching SG1 9x/10x and SGA. It's annoying because now I have to wait for episodes. Also, SG1 won't be getting another season, just straight to DVD movies. I can't say I'm surprised. Compared to Atlantis, it's not that exciting. I do like the Ori storyline and, of course, Morena. Jackson is okay but the rest of the team is pretty mediocre. I honestly don't know how people can find Carter attractive. In the SGA episode where Rodney crashes the jumper in the ocean, she tries to show her sexiness. *shudder* I also don't get Teal'c. What is the point of Teal'c?

Atlantis is awesome. I love all the characters. Teyla and Ronon are semi-weak but still likeable. Weir and Beckett are stronger but not that much. Essentially it's the McKay and Shepard show with the rest supporting. Shepard has the Kirk thing going for him and McKay is just hilarious. Even the producers recognise the importance of McKay with episodes like Mrs. Miller & Two McKay's (or whatever) and The Tao of Rodney.