&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Saturday

JOPKE

Just folded 98s on a 874r board when someone overbet the pot. KJs, AK4T, bet the flop to get it HU, I get raised when the T comes out. That's either a bluff or broadway and with only second pair I'm not paying to find out. KQo, lose my stack to KJo. FUCKYOU. Flop was KT4, I pot it and get raised. Call. Turn is a Queen. I push two pair. River is an Ace. 8.5% 17.4% chance he wins here. He's a scumbag, dontcha' know? For this to be a long term winning play he has to win a $100 pot. This play is +$0.82 ev for me an and +$0.18 ev for him. So, I just won $17.22 I just can't cash it in yet. He just lost $17.22 but doesn't know it yet.

Edit: Emotionally I miscalculated his chances last night (OESD not a gutshot). Still, if we play that hand 100 times at this limit I'll have won $2050 and he'll be on $450.

Arrgh, bad beat!

Hellmuth calls these people jopkes [sic] and yes, they are terrible players, but the difference between tournament and ring play is that I can expect to look up the jopke somewhere down the line because he'll do the exact same thing again. I need to add him to my watch list. All you can do in ring is keep putting you're money in when you've got the edge. Over the 'long run' jopkes will keep busting their roll and you'll make money. However, running into someone like this in a tourney would be hella fustrating.

Back to the hand: This guy had pushed me off my 98s before and I knew he overvalued/overbet his hand repeatedly. Taking a stand in the 98s hand was too risky. I put him on overcards or maybe even an OESD there. I then let someone push me off my gutshot when I had KJs for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, he made it unprofitable to draw. His large bet on the turn with 3 Broadway cards out means either: He has a made hand that's vulnerable to the gutshot (TPTK/top two) or he's made the nut straight already and I'm drawing semi-dead. Either way it's not +EV to chase. On the KQo hand, my read on the jopker was dead on too, since I figured him for TPGK and since I had TP2K going into the turn I was looking to bust him for overplaying his weak hand. I knew he didn't have AK since he'd have raised preflop, I was also pretty confident he didn't have AJ, since he liked to draw cheap. When I hit a Queen on the turn I pushed knewing he'd call with something I beat (KJ and down). With 3 Broadway out there (and pairing two) I was hoping for K/Q/8 or less. But he hits his draw and I feel like shit.