&>/dev/null

pirates, robots, ninjas; supercowpowers, fugu & geckos; fish & chips.

Tuesday

The 50's

I've got money for you if you play half your hands to showdown. Just fucking ridiculous. I flopped a set, call, call with OESD, hit's river. I have no stats showing how passive this guy is (1.5) so I assume my set is good and he's bluffing the whiffed FD (yes, that's right, he's drawing to an OESD OOP on a FD flop)...or has made two pair. Good for you.

I spew chips to him because he doesn't fold ever. Not to flop bets, turn bets, or river bets. Nor raises. I tighten up with the intention of valuebetting. I hit nothing apart from:

Same table, different guy I call a 3bet IP with AKo. Flop KJx, check, check. Q on turn, pause, check...check. King on the river, small valuebet. OMFG, QQ is it? WHY NOT. YEP.

Same table. I raise AA (the audacity) shortstacked guy calls. Flop is A65r. Shortstack pushes, I make a small raise in case the 50% VPIP guy wants to call with 78/34 but he folds. Shortstack shows 78s, obv. Not only does he turn a 9, he backdoors a flush. WP.

KQ, flop top pair on rainbow board. Aggro reg calls IP. Turn pairs bottom pair, I check/call. I block the river, he pushes. OBV. I mean, he's repping a set but who knows.

Every 'premium' pair gets cracked except one, flop another set of Aces. Board makes a 4 card straight. OKAY. Shall I push IP when he checks the river? Oh, I got so much value there out of A9 but look, I lost it on the KQ hand.

I think I got all-in again and lost. I seem to be down two buyins. Made I lost an them both to 50% VPIP idiots.

I hate 100NL. There is just so much...CRAP play that gets constantly rewarded. It's almost tempting to tighten up and overbet PF, inflating the pots because then your hands make strong holdings postflop. Say I start raising every hand to 10BB, WTF is a 50% VPIP guy going to do against that?

Oh, and I've stopped bluffing rivers entirely. Yep, I checked behind 5 high because no one can fold a pair. I mean I'll still raise on a semi-bluff but when I miss I'll just check it behind.

Badly played hands: AK, but it's marginal. Yes, I payed off a tiny VB with trips, top kicker. MEA CULPA. The set. Perhaps if I had seen this guys aggression rating, I would have merely called the river.

In truth, that's the only bad hand I can think of. The KQo against an aggro player I always lose about the same OOP. I could have bet the turn, folded the river or to a raise.

I really don't see how I can lose so much. Yes, I went broke with sets, SO SORRY. Maybe I got bluffed off the best hand once or twice but it would have taken calling off my stack to find out. Wow, I chose not to.

I absolutely hate this type of 'poker'. Skill is hardly discernible. There are no plays. How the fuck are you supposed to put someone on a hand when their VPIP is over 40%? They can have almost any two and be calling with any draw or any pair...and sometimes without either. There is no way to say: Well, if I bluff this much he folds bottom pair (he doesn't), this much he folds middle pair (no, sir), and this much he folds top pair (think again). They don't fold, unless you put your stack in light.